Friday, October 27, 2006

Stranded Part 3--Goats on the Loose




No power this morning. The electricity ceased sometime early this morning before our alarm sounded at 6:30 p.m. The rains create swells to yesterday’s levels, so the main road was passable. Good thing, because I had to visit the Department of Revenue located mid-island to complete some business related to our move.

While taking our dog, Chuck, out for his morning walk, I learned from neighbors that the water was out now, too. A generator keeps the water pumps working once the current goes. The transmission in said generator burned up more than likely from overuse during the pass couple of days. “You can use water from the pool (located in the center of the condo complex) to flush,” a neighbor yelled.

About six hours later and after I’d decided a dip in the pool was all the bath I would get today, the power and water returned. I jumped in the shower and readied to visit the Department of Revenue. On the way the rains picked up and roadways filled. I made to the office, located behind the Sunny Isles shopping center (see yesterday’s post).

In the lobby a crowd was gathered opposite the door. A herd of brown and tan goats, wet and shaking, had gathered under the eaves of the Department of Revenue and huddled against the south facing glass wall.

From the upstairs waiting/cashier area, I could see the loading dock area of K-mart where a pond was beginning to form. One lone goat was attempting to cross the lawn toward the others.

I filed my paper work and hurried downstairs with the plan to call animal control about the wet and frightened goats. Once outside, the goats were no where to be found. With water rising and herds of goats disappearing, I decided I needed to get home quick.

Later that evening as the drizzle continued, I relayed the story of the goats to a St. Croix native. He explained that the shopping center and government offices had been pastureland before development, “in their defense, the goats were there first.”

Others navigating the storm: photo 1, man in golf cart is sideways on underwater service road, note flooded golf course behind him; photo 2, gekos usually stay at bug level on our back porch, this one scrambled to the ceiling to avoid water; photo 3, white heron thrilled that this maintenance compound is flooded creating a new feeding ground for him.

2 comments:

earthchick said...

Wow - sounds like continuing drama there!

Thanks for popping in on my blog. ;)

mhuizenga said...

Interesting...I thought I saw a gator under the trees in the white heron picture. Of course I am reading without my glasses. :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.